Today was a good day, for several reasons. (1) We finally got snow! (2) I got to play in the snow with the kids. (3) My lemon-garlic chicken experiment was a success.
Ever since we moved back to the “mainland” (as we call it in Hawaii – basically the upper 48), the kids and I have been eagerly waiting for the return of winter weather especially snow. This winter has been a disappointed so far. We got a couple of snow flurries but nothing to brag about.
Finally the long wait was over. We got about 3 inches, which was enough for the kids to make a pretty good size snowman. And yes, I almost slipped numerous times.
I know I should have thrown some soup into the crock pot today since it was a cold day, but I just wasn’t in the mood for soup. Actually, I had a craving for Chinese food, lemon chicken to be exact. I searched the internet for recipes, but each one required me to chop up chicken breasts, and unfortunately, my chicken breasts were frozen solid. So, I turned to the next best thing – a crock pot recipe.
Luckily, I found a simple recipe that sounded fantastic. With a few adjustments, I tweaked it to the way I wanted it…and have not been able to stop eating it since it finished. Seriously! Everything I walk by the dish, I grab another piece of chicken. It’s so lemony and tender! A splash of soy sauce and we’ve got a winner. I served it on a bed of Calrose rice with a side of green beans and corn. Even the kids loved it. The Hubby hasn’t gotten home yet, so the final vote is still out, but I’m sure he’ll love it…if there’s any left.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅔ cup water (or chicken broth)
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice from about 2 lemons (I used 3 lemons because I love the flavor)
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- Place chicken breasts into crock pot.
- Rub oregano, seasoned salt, pepper, and garlic into chicken.
- Pour water (or chicken broth) and lemon juice over chicken.
- Cook on low 6 hours or on high 3 hours. Be careful not to overcook!
- Remove chicken from crock pot and set aside.
- Pour leftover lemon-garlic broth into saucepan.
- Add soy sauce.
- Bring to boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve over chicken.